March 3, 2020
Presidential Primary & Special State Referendum Election
For more information about the election, click here.
All polling places will be open from 7:00am until 8:00pm. To find your polling place, click here.
Click here to request your absentee ballot now through February 27 or call (207) 767-3201. Absentee voting at City Hall (25 Cottage Road) will be available as soon as ballots arrive (expected by February 3).
- Anyone currently enrolled in a party (D, R or G) and wishing to *change* parties must do so at least 15 days before Election Day in order to participate in the Primary election for the party changed to. Voters are encouraged to confirm their party enrollment before election day by calling the City Clerk's office at (207) 767-3201.
- New voters, and anyone currently Unenrolled (not enrolled in any political party, sometimes referred to as “independent”) may enroll up to and on Election Day at the polling place and vote.
- Only voters enrolled in a party are eligible to receive that party’s primary candidate ballot. All voters, regardless of party enrollment, will receive the referendum ballot.
Both the Democratic and Republican party will participate in the Presidential Primary election, but both parties will also hold caucuses for conducting other party-building activities. Caucuses are organized by the municipal political parties. Per State Law, a registrar will be present to register voters one hour before the caucus begins.
- The South Portland Democratic Party caucus will be held on Sunday, March 8, 2020 at the South Portland Community Center (Senior Wing). Doors open at 12:30pm and the event begins at 1:30pm.
- The South Portland Republican Party caucus will be held on Saturday, February 8, 2020 at the South Portland Community Center (Senior Wing). Doors open at 8:00am and the event begins at 9:00am.
- The Green Independent Party chose not to participate in the Presidential Primary election, but will hold party caucuses for voting for the Presidential candidate and conducting other party-building activities. The information for South Portland is not yet known, but once known will be shared at City Hall and on the City's website.