A building permit is required for finishing the basement to create usable living space, such as a family room, office, bedroom or bathroom. An egress window is required for a bedroom.
Proposals to finish a basement require:
- A simple plan that you can draw yourself that show existing layout and proposed new layout. The plan should be understandable and reasonably to scale.
- A completed Building Permit Application with full contact information for the property owner, applicant or agent, and contractor.
- The estimated cost of the project including labor and materials. The building permit fee will be based on that cost, at a rate of $15 per $1000 estimated cost or part thereof. The minimum fee for all building permits is $25.
- Building permit fee to be paid at time of application, in the form of cash or check only.
- A sewer impact fee if adding one or more bedrooms. Each additional bedroom is estimated to provide the home with the capacity to use 90 additional gallons of water per day, per State of Maine regulations. Check with us for the rate per gallon per day. Application for payment of Sewer Impact Fee